Friday, January 27, 2012

A Brief Update

Well, time for another brief update, although I don't have any earth-shattering news to report this week. (not that I have had any in my other posts anyway.) Since I just have a few disjointed ideas, I guess a bulleted list makes the most sense.

  • In SVT lab this week, we worked with E Coli Bacteria. Don't worry, it wasn't the harmful ones. We used petri dishes and put the jello-like bacteria food in the dish, then squirted in some bacteria and closed the lid. 25 minutes later, we added 4 different antibiotics to see which one works the best and which are completely ineffective. That was last Tuesday. We get to/have to(depending on your point of view) see our bacteria next Tuesday, to see how the experiement went and how clean we were. 
  • I had my second guitar lesson today, and as I was walking through downtown looking at everything I passed, I was thinking about how much I enjoy the fact that I walk to so much here, and that I see so many funny things along the way. I feel like I really "see" downtown as I walk through it, instead of just driving by in a car.
  • Next week is going to be great. The English teachers are taking some kids to England for the week on a field trip, and since substitute teachers don't exist here...that means all of my english classes for the week are cancelled. And since I always have english first hour of the day, that means...Monday, I start at 10:00(since I have english at 8 and then history in english at 900) Wednesday I start at 10:00(since i have english at 8 and then an hour of study hall) and thursday, I start at 1:30(since I have english and then 3 hours of study hall.) I am going to do so much sleeping in next week.
  • This weekend I have an AFS activity, a galette de rois. A Galette de rois is a cake which you eat on the epiphany and inside there is a little figurine hidden. If your piece has the figuring, you get to be the king for the day. And apparently you have galette de rois parties all throughout january, just like you say happy new year,  good health to practically everyone you meet all throughout january. I can't wait to see my AFS friends again. 
Well, I guess that's it. It has started to get lighter here, so the days when I finish at 530 pm, it is just dark outside, instead of pitch black. But, it's been raining a bit. Today was gorgeous, with sunshine and everything, although a bit chilly for my taste. Oh well, like in life, I guess you can't have everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment