Monday, April 9, 2012

Easter Weekend

Easter is over, and I have two weeks left of school until Spring Break. I’m sure I’ll have lots of homework and tests to fill those weeks. For starters, I have a history test on Thursday, but instead of studying, I decided to write all about the Easter weekend.

 Thanks to an Easter package I received, I had an egg-dying kit, so I died hard-boiled eggs with one of my little host brothers. He colored on the eggs with the wax crayon, I died them with the vinegar, and he put the stickers on. Let me tell you, it was quite weird to by putting colors on the brown eggs. The pink didn’t show up at all, so I was stuck with just green and blue as the only usable colors.

My decorated, hard-boiled eggs.
Around 500 pm when she got back from her handball game, we had her real birthday cake(her homemade chocolate cake for her party didn’t count.) This was a raspberry cream, puff-pastry cake, with a raspberry sauce poured over the top. We all gathered in the dining room and pulled out the fancy dessert plates to celebrate.
My host sister's real birthday cake.
After sunday easter mass, we walked back to the house and the littles did the Easter egg hunt. Here, they only hide chocolate. Outside, the Easter bunny hid plastic bags with big chocolate filled chocolate eggs inside. In the house, the Easter bunny hid little chocolate bunnies and eggs, wrapped in the little foil wrappers. I decided to help the Easter bunny a bit and donated lollipop and coin filled plastic eggs that I had gotten from the states, and the hard-boiled eggs were hidden as well.
Once all of the eggs had been found, the big ones were distributed to their owners to serve as place markers at the table. We all sat around in the living room and talked while eating appetizers until lunch was ready, when we moved to the dining room table.


 The appetizer was a sort of apple slice, sour cream/cream cheese, and salmon stack. The main dish was couscous, ratatouille, lamb shoulder, and garbanzo beans with tomatoes. It was all really good, and we ate so much that we didn’t bother with the cheese course, even though we had sliced the bread and had special cheese. We went straight to dessert, which was just incredible. We had a raspberry cream tart as well as a chocolate tart. The chocolate tart was amazing, and the raspberry tart was even better. We also broke into our yummy chocolate eggs.
The incredible raspberry macaron topped vanilla bean cream raspberry tart.
The awesome chocolate hazelnut tart.

After lunch, there was a foosball tournament upstairs, which lasted a fair amount of time.  As the tournament was finishing up, I received the message that my host sisters were going to play a board game and did I want to play. (In a house with three stories and at least 4 iphones, texting messages is easier than yelling them up the stairs) So, I headed downstairs, ready to learn a new game. And what did I walk in the dining room to find...? Only my favorite board game of all time: Settlers of Catan! I was so excited not only to get to play, but to play with people who already knew how to play so that I could skip the first 30 minutes where you have to teach people how to play. I lost the first game, having been boxed in to the center of the board, but won the second round.

Boy was I glad that Monday was a holiday and I didn’t have to go to school. Just like after christmas eve and new year’s eve, today was a nice recovery day, slow-paced and relaxed as we all prepared for the 2 busy weeks to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment